If you’ve decided to replace your roof or you’re constructing a new building, you’re probably researching roofing materials. There are lots of options out there but not all of them will be suitable for your project. Choosing the wrong type of roof can compromise your building in the long term. Many homeowners opt for tile roof installation.
Tile roofs complement most types of homes and they add lots of aesthetic value. They are available in a variety of shapes including flat, curved, fluted, and interlocking. Furthermore, you can get French, Spanish, Roman, Riviera and other styles. It’s not surprising that tiles are often the first choice. However, before you make a decision to install a tile roof, you need to weigh the benefits and disadvantages.
Pros of Tile Roof Installation
Tiles are among the most popular roofing options in the world and definitely here in South Carolina. There are many reasons for this. For example:
- Tiles are weather-resistant. Clay and concrete tiles are highly durable, and they can withstand hail, high winds, and even fire. Since South Carolina is vulnerable to tropical storms and hurricanes, this makes tile roofing particularly attractive.
- Tiles help to reduce energy usage and costs. Tiles can help to shield the attic from the heat of the sun. This means homeowners don’t need to rely as heavily on air conditioning and they can keep their cooling costs down.
- Tiles roofs can last for up to 100 years or even more if installed correctly. However, many manufacturers offer a 50-year warranty. Tile roofs also require very little maintenance thanks to their durability and resistance. There’s no need to coat, seal or paint tiles.
- Tiles are resistant to insects and other pests, unlike many other types of roofs.
- Tiles are environmentally friendly. Since most tiles are made of clay or concrete, they are sustainably sourced. When they are removed from the roof, they can be recycled.
- Tiles come in many different colors and styles. No matter what design your house has, you’re likely to find tiles that complement it. Some even resemble shingles or shakes.
Cons of Tile Roofing
While there are many advantages, there are still some drawbacks to tile roofing. You should discuss these with your roofing contractor in Greenville, SC before you make your decision. Some of the issues you will have to consider include:
- Weight. Tile roofs can be heavy. Your house needs to have a structure that’s strong enough to support the weight. You, therefore, need to hire an experienced roofer who can assess your home thoroughly before you install the new roof. Your roof may need to be reinforced before tile roof installation can occur.
- Cost. Tiles can be expensive, and they typically cost twice as much as the highly popular asphalt shingles. However, you will save money in the long run. That’s because maintenance costs are low and you’re unlikely to have to replace the roof.
- Installation. The way your tiles are installed will play a major role in the longevity of your roof. Many roofs fall into disrepair prematurely because the roofer didn’t use flashings designed specifically for tile roofing. You need to ensure you hire a Greenville roofing company that uses high-quality products and delivers superior workmanship.
- Brittleness. Tiles are durable and weather resistant. However, they can still crack or break if something falls on them or someone walks on them. The repairs can be costly.
- Algae. Rain, moisture, and humidity can lead to the growth of algae. Dark streaks can develop on the tiles if they don’t get the necessary preventative treatment.
- Roof type. If your roof has a pitch of less than 4:12, tiles aren’t ideal. They are best suited for roofs that have relatively sharp slopes.
Hire the Best Roofing Contractor in Greenville, SC
When it’s time for a new roof, there’s a lot to consider. You need to ensure you examine both the pros and the cons after seeking advice from a professional roofing contractor. Tile roofs are very popular because of the benefits they offer but they aren’t right for every home. It’s ultimately your choice but you need to have all the relevant information.
If you need professional roofing advice, don’t hesitate to call Greenville Roofing. We have been serving the community for many years and we know the best types of roofs for local conditions. We have experienced, certified staff who will be happy to assist you. Contact us today to ask questions or schedule an inspection.